Re: Galina's website

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 10/21/03-11:14:35 AM Z

Galina's web site (http://www.galina.no) requires Macromedia's current
flash plugin version 6 and a browser that supports it.

Anyone trying to access it without this version of the plugin will have
problems, regardless of which browser or operating system they use.

Web site designers have the choice of making a site that will work with
what is "commonly available" - though this is getting difficult to
determine now, or they can design a site that uses a very specific
interface that may not be on most people's systems.

I do both - depending on the audience and the intende purpose of the site.

I make web pages that use only the standard hhtml that are intened for a
very wide audience.

I also make web pages as instructional tools that reqiure a specific set
of plugins - why? The plugins allow me to present content that is not
possible to display without plugins - animations, scalable vector
graphics, and 3 dimensional interactive molecular models. I know these
sites will not be useful to people who have not got the apporpriate
plugins - but the content demands their use.

Galina wants to present her material in a specific manner. It limits
its accessability. Its her choice. If it really bothers you, please
email her privately.

There is an effort to make the type of content presented with Flash, an
open standard that can be built into web browsers, that will avoid the
issues people are having with Galina's site. Its called Scalable Vector
Graphics (SVG) see http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/ or
http://www.moock.org/webdesign/svg/

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2