Re: Galina's website

From: Galina (galina@online.no)
Date: 10/21/03-12:40:43 PM Z

Wow,

what a reaction!

Thank you all for responding, I am most grateful, both to those who
said the nice things and those who were aggressive and hostile.

There is no other way to find out if the art works, the only way is to
show it to the wide audience.

It has never been my intention to crash anyone's computers. As Gordon
has kindly explained, flash programming is not working unless you have
flash. There is a downloading possibility on the opening page of my
site. Naturally, those who do some surfing on the internet know that
advanced software demands some level of hardware and a high speed line.
I hoped that people understand that.

Anyway, I am currently working on a html version of the site, which is
going to be more friendly towards those who do not have advanced
equipment or are not so interested in computers. Html programming will
allow me to show my video work and computer art.

The site as it is now is a living creature, that is changing all the
time. Each time you log in, it will be different. That is the way I
want it to be.

This site is a result of a long working and thinking process. I
consider it an art work in itself.

Programming and design is done in cooperation with two other artists
whom I credit under "Linkspirations". It is a rather unusual and
complex flash programming against a database, which allows me to put in
new things all the time. It is based on a randomizing principle, so
that a different thing would pope up each time you are logging in.

It demands a certain amount of patience and interest to learn all the
details and find all the images. I have made a similar work for a
CD-rom project called 01 earlier. All computer art stuff demands that
those who look at it have certain experience at looking at computer
art. This is the youngest form of art and it is oriented towards
computer games generation. I know that some people get very irritated
by it, but I do not mind. Those people who stay with me are those, whom
I want to reach actually.

So it is OK, that Dave Rose will never visit me again. I am a bit upset
that I have made him so angry, but I am not sorry and I will not
apologize.

It has been a lesson though, and I wonder if I myself have been just as
hostile towards Sally Mann? Let me know.

I am not as careful and gentle in choosing my words as Jack Fulton is,
f.e. I am envious, Jack! Sorry, that is the way I am. I am not so
afraid of getting reactions and getting hated. My life experience has
taught me not to be afraid. I have given up the ambitions and the
positions, which has given me more freedom in return.

I was interested to join in on a discussion about Sally Mann as I think
it is a question about a genius and a crowd. As Dostoevsky´s "Crime and
punishment" is too. He is busy with God and morality, but I am not. I
am busy with the genius. I am fascinated by the philosophical issues.
How far can the genius go? Is it his responsibility if his work is
misused and misinterpreted?

That is why I mentioned Nabokov to begin with. Camille Paglia has
wrtitten in one of her assays about how much "Lolita" has been misused
and misinterpreted. But does that mean that he should have never
written the book?

I am giving up now. Perhaps I am not very clever to explain my ideas.
Perhaps I should go and talk to Sally Mann directly instead?

Pam, I have looked at Weston´s Cole, and I agree with you, it is a
different thing. It shows love and affection, just as Lewis Carroll´s
pictures do. Sally Mann´s photographs do not show love or affection. To
my opinion, they are a coldly calculated success. The pictures are
beautiful and impressive, but there are no genuine feelings behind.
There is only a reference to some prohibited sensuality, which the
genius knows that the crowd is going to love. I doubt very much that
this pictures belong to a category of documentary photography either.
Even though the children were running around naked naturally.

I am closing down this discussion now from my side. Forgive me those
who got offended.

I am falling of this horse now as I am leaving for the west coast for a
new project. No computers fort a while!

Thank you all again for the response to my site, I really learn a lot
from it!

Regards,

Galina.

www.galina.no