Re: Cyanotype formula question

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/22/03-05:34:12 PM Z

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Richard Urmonas wrote:
> Someone may be more familiar with this formula. I would suspect
> the oxalic acid will modify the sensitivity curve a little. I do recall
> reading something about the acid being a preservative, but don't
> know how true that is. The addition of the acid will cause staining
> of the highlights. The dichromate will help to reduce this.
>
> Personally I think the simple formula is the best. It is also
> least harmful to the photographer and environment.

My tests showed that the formula with the oxalic made a more intense blue
for the first couple of days, tho double coating regular formula equalled
that. As the oxalic emulsion aged however, the whites became veiled --
the addition of dichromate simply stripped the high tones, that is,
cruelly shortened the scale.

(This is laid out in P-F #5.)

J.