Re: the politics of brushing - a semi survey

From: Kris Erickson (kris.erickson@utoronto.ca)
Date: 10/24/03-07:22:56 AM Z

As in my other recent post, I think it depends on the imagery. My wife
and I did a cyanotype book of flowers called "echoes of blue"
(http://www.eq-photo.com) in which it was imperative to use brush
strokes to maintain a certain liquidity of the images (and the ideas
behind them).
I think it's important to maintain brushstrokes if the artist's identity
should be fused into the final work (part of the reason I think
encaustic is a great medium). So abstract expressionism could be a good
way to go for alt-processes (really!), but so could self-portraiture. If
the very act of *you* seeing things *this* way is an important part of
the work, then *you* making your *mark* (first with the photograph, and
then--literally and emphatically--with the brush strokes) should be part
of the language of your work.
Regarding brushstrokes in a work impressing or distracting a potential
client, I really can't say. Evidence of authorship seems to be much more
prevalent in work today (not just alt-photography), and there seems to
be a tendency toward interdisciplinarity of work (as Galina's site has
shown). The "brushstroke" has traditionally been in the vocabulary of
painting, however, and so any use of it in other media is bound to be
regarded in it's light.