the politics of brushing - a semi survey

From: Ian Greant (ian@51north.com)
Date: 10/23/03-08:25:05 PM Z

When I first started hand coating papers I was more than a little surprised
how much I enjoyed the actual brushing and brush marks. For a while the
brush marks were an integral part of my images. Now, a couple years later
I've calmed down a bit and am not quite as wild with brush. Although how
much I brush can vary a lot by day and mood :)

Thinking about it and looking at other artists work has gotten me thinking
and I'd like to toss the following questions out to the group:

1) Are brush marks part of the artistic process for you or are they just an
annoying byproduct of a hand coated product?

2) Over time has your brushing style changed? If so has your clients'
attitudes towards your prints changed?

3) Do you think brush marks enhances some subjects or processes more than
others?

4) Do you think masking the brush marks makes a print look more purely
photographic as opposed to being a painting or drawing?

5) What factors affect your decision to exhibit with or without the brush
marks showing? Is it purely personal choice or are you affected by
external forces (critics, clients, dealers, etc)

6) In the end I suppose this is part of a larger question I am reflecting
on, which is: When we are new to a media or technique is it typical to
push the limits and find subtlety with experience?

Disclaimer

I'm not trying to pry any trade secrets from anyone, I have no intention of
publishing, compiling the data or doing anything else with it besides
starting some conversation and perhaps some more thought about my own
creative process.

Thanks for your patience and indulgence :)

Ian Greant