Re: the politics of brushing - a semi survey

From: Lisa Reddig (lisa@julianrichards.com)
Date: 10/24/03-08:47:43 AM Z

On 10/23/03 10:25 PM, "Ian Greant" <ian@51north.com> wrote:

> 1) Are brush marks part of the artistic process for you or are they just an
> annoying byproduct of a hand coated product?

They are part of the artistic process, just as the negative is a part of it,
but that does not mean they need to be seen by the final viewer. For myself
I keep the edges, I don't slice them off or anything. I like to see some of
the process for myself.

> 2) Over time has your brushing style changed? If so has your clients'
> attitudes towards your prints changed?

Actually just recently I changed my style some. As Dave already said too
much brushing causes stain and problems with gum, I just figured this out a
couple of weeks ago, and have been using a lighter, less strokes touch. It
makes them more even, smoother, and doesn't take as long either.

> 3) Do you think brush marks enhances some subjects or processes more than
> others?

Yes. The project I am printing now needs to not have noticeable brush
strokes. They are difficult enough to see images anyway, dark and subtle.
So keeping the brush strokes out of it makes them more readable. But I am
sure that with other projects I do in the future, with different imagery,
brush strokes may lend a positive effect to the outcome.

> 4) Do you think masking the brush marks makes a print look more purely
> photographic as opposed to being a painting or drawing?

Definitely. It takes away the craftiness as well. I'm not going to go in
to the differences between "craft" and "art". I'm sure it's been talked
over plenty on this group.

> 5) What factors affect your decision to exhibit with or without the brush
> marks showing? Is it purely personal choice or are you affected by
> external forces (critics, clients, dealers, etc)

I have no critics, clients, or dealers to give me feedback. Except some
friends, who have all agreed with the masking out of the edges.

> 6) In the end I suppose this is part of a larger question I am reflecting
> on, which is: When we are new to a media or technique is it typical to
> push the limits and find subtlety with experience?

I've only been doing gum for just over a year. I consider the beginning the
time when you try to perfect the medium as much as possible. Do my best to
make clean, smooth, brushless prints. After I can do that correctly, then I
can experiment. For myself, I need to learn the rules before I break them.
I learned to make a perfect 11x14 bw fiber print in college, haven't made
one since, but I need to know that so I know what I am not doing.