Re: peeling off emulsion of fiber based paper or any other kind of

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/24/03-12:01:00 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pablo Kolodny" <pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 7:57 AM
Subject: peeling off emulsion of fiber based paper or any
other kind of
  preveous stuff snipped....

> > Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering about techniques for peeling off emulsion
layer of fiber based
> traditional photo papers.
> The idea is to build up some 8x10 or maybe 11x14 in neg
size camera, then
> contact printing or even enlarging negs but I think it'd
be quite better to
> have the film base taken off.
> I know some problems could come up, stretching/compressing
emulsion layer
> and so on but I think that could be more something to add
than anything
> else.
> So I'll appreciate any idea, thought, experience around
the peeling off
> technique thing which I never got done. At least the way
it should be.

> gracias in advance
>
> Pablo

  I don't know how practical stripping fiber base paper is
but it can be done with RC paper. Its just a matter of
soaking it long enough and helping the separation start with
a razor blade at a corner. This will strip off the upper
plastic layer with the emulsion. This layer has the
reflective coating in it. I think some others on this list
have had practical experience with this process.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com