peeling off emulsion of fiber based paper or any other kind of

From: Pablo Kolodny (pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar)
Date: 10/24/03-08:57:19 AM Z

Ian Greant wrote:

> When I first started hand coating papers I was more than a little surprised
> how much I enjoyed the actual brushing and brush marks. For a while the
> brush marks were an integral part of my images. Now, a couple years later
> I've calmed down a bit and am not quite as wild with brush. Although how
> much I brush can vary a lot by day and mood :)
>
> Thinking about it and looking at other artists work has gotten me thinking
> and I'd like to toss the following questions out to the group:
>
> 1) Are brush marks part of the artistic process for you or are they just an
> annoying byproduct of a hand coated product?
>
> 2) Over time has your brushing style changed? If so has your clients'
> attitudes towards your prints changed?
>
> 3) Do you think brush marks enhances some subjects or processes more than
> others?
>
> 4) Do you think masking the brush marks makes a print look more purely
> photographic as opposed to being a painting or drawing?
>
> 5) What factors affect your decision to exhibit with or without the brush
> marks showing? Is it purely personal choice or are you affected by
> external forces (critics, clients, dealers, etc)
>
> 6) In the end I suppose this is part of a larger question I am reflecting
> on, which is: When we are new to a media or technique is it typical to
> push the limits and find subtlety with experience?

Hi all,

I'm wondering about techniques for peeling off emulsion layer of fiber based
traditional photo papers.
The idea is to build up some 8x10 or maybe 11x14 in neg size camera, then
contact printing or even enlarging negs but I think it'd be quite better to
have the film base taken off.
I know some problems could come up, stretching/compressing emulsion layer
and so on but I think that could be more something to add than anything
else.
So I'll appreciate any idea, thought, experience around the peeling off
technique thing which I never got done. At least the way it should be.

gracias in advance

Pablo