Re: Printing with continuous feed systems

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 09/04/03-05:21:56 AM Z

Scott,

> I found that the feeder tube for the black ink cartridge was the culprit -
since the tube was clogged no ink was being applied even though the
cartridge was full.

The best way to cure the line clogging problem is to switch the black ink
that you are using. The black ink that you are using is a co-solvent based
ink and is not 100 % pigmented ink. This allows, as you've discovered, ink
to dry inside the tubes which is permeable to the co-solvent. MIS now sells
a Photo K called Ebony, a 100% pigmented black ink which they reccomend
using to eliminate this problem. I use it in my FSN inkset and the clogs are
no problem.

> After visiting the inksupply.com website, I see that they recommend
printing something everyday; which seems a little excessive.

You may not need to print everyday but at least every few days. This will
keep the ink flowing through the print head and keep it from drying out.
There is no practical way to get around this since the printer you are using
wasn't designed to use pigmented inks.

I don't know which inkset you are using but you may want to try the MIS
Ultrachrome clone, Ultratone inks. These are 100% pigmented inks and I think
they are now available for your 1270/1280 printer.

It will require you to use custom curves. The downside is that the MIS black
ink may not adhere properly to transparency material if you want to make
digital negatives. This includes the co-solvent ink as well. There is a
Photo K Ebony for glossy medium which may work but I've not tried it.

Of course for more information you can visit the MIS website.

Don Bryant