Printing with continuous feed systems

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 09/03/03-09:09:11 PM Z

Hi all,

Several months ago I remember reading a post about someone experiencing digital prints (negatives or positives)coming out looking solarizing. I just ran into the same problem and thought I would pass along my findings on the subject.

I have two Epson 1280s modified with continuous feed systems from inksupply.com; one uses their hex-tone black and white inks and the other their dye-based inks. After spending a month working with silver gelatin, I started to make negatives for printing in cyanotype on the printer with the hex-tone inks and ran into the solarizing effect (shadows coming out white in the positive). I found that the feeder tube for the black ink cartridge was the culprit - since the tube was clogged no ink was being applied even though the cartridge was full. After two hours of trying to unclog the tube with hot water I finally got it clear and the ink to flow again - no more solarizing effect. It seems to me that since the clog was near the middle of the tube that the material must breath (like plastic chemical containers) and that the ink in the tube dried up after sitting for a month. After visiting the inksupply.com website, I see that they recommend printing something everyday; which seems a little excessive.

Thought I would pass this information along and save someone the headache I suffered.

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net