Re: coating method

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 09/04/03-11:02:00 PM Z

From: Kerik <Kerik@kerik.com>
Subject: Re: coating method
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:54:49 -0700

> I'm not familiar with the process Ryuji is attempting,

Well, it's the latest member of alternative processes (I think) but
for some reason very unpopular besides those who use bottled emulsion
products for enlarging papers.

> but if the consistency or the sensitizer is anything like gum,

Now I'm not familiar with gum bichromate process, but my emulsion is a
bit thicker than latex paint I used to paint my apartment. It's about
comparable to the creamy part of rissoto for vegetable dishes, less
viscous than the paste made from yucca startch (what's the name for
this?) people eat with muqueca in Brasil, maybe also comparable to the
consistency of New England clam chowder in day 2, maybe a bit thicker
than hollandaise sauce... but obviously this isn't a precise
description.

> I'd suggest trying a smooth foam roller. These are about 6" long
> and are very effective for super-smooth gum bichromate coating. You
> want the white ones, which are the smoothest.

Ok - I'll look around my local hardware stores.

> I've also started using the roller to smooth my gelatin sizing after first
> applying it with either a glass rod or hake brush. After spreading the
> sizing, I use a dry roller brush to smooth it out. You must work quickly
> before the sizing starts to cool and get sticky, but done properly I've
> gotten the smoothest gleatin sizing this way.

So why don't you just get another roller and apply gelatin with it
directly? Is there a good reason?

(Incidentally, in Japanese "hake" literally means brush (though the
kind that is used to paint areas of wall or pieces of something), so
it's a bit strange to see a word brush to follow... I think fish goes
better with hake than brush.)