Re: coating method

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/05/03-12:03:13 PM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> Now I'm not familiar with gum bichromate process, but my emulsion is a
> bit thicker than latex paint I used to paint my apartment. It's about
> comparable to the creamy part of rissoto for vegetable dishes, less
> viscous than the paste made from yucca startch (what's the name for
> this?) people eat with muqueca in Brasil, maybe also comparable to the
> consistency of New England clam chowder in day 2, maybe a bit thicker
> than hollandaise sauce... but obviously this isn't a precise
> description.

I love this! We were talking about how to measure the viscosity of gum a
while back; this forced choice method has the advantage of needing no
equipment or standardization, and is actually fairly good for measuring
some things, but perhaps may not be a fine enough measure to distinguish
between different gums. But I like it. Everyone knows what the creamy
part of risotto is like, and latex paint, and hollandaise sauce.

Gum (my gum, anyway) is not as thick as anything you describe here; it's
more like a good varnish. It would coat a spoon if you dipped a spoon in
it, but it flows and brushes easily. I can't think of a food that it's
the same consistency as. Maple syrup, maybe.

> Do you think the different results may be at least in part a
> consequence of varying amounts or absence of wetting agent, etc? I was
> thinking about playing with the amount of Triton X-100 (no, this isn't
> a film) and glycerin.

(This question referred to the observation that different gums behave
differently.) No, I don't think it's about wetting agents, because I
don't think gums have wetting agents in them. Someone will correct me if
I'm wrong, but my assumption was that gums that you buy mixed contain
gum, water, and some kind of preservative, is all.

Thanks to Gordon, my current speculation about the difference between
gums is related to possible difference in viscosity between the
different gums. I don't even know for sure whether gums are different in
viscosity, but just the realization that they might possibly be, is an
interesting thought.
Katharine Thayer