Re: non linear ink and Photoshop curves

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/10/03-04:40:19 AM Z

Nick Makris wrote:

  What I
> also
> found out is that the ink denisities put out by each of the Epson
> printers
> are not consistent from model one to the next where it regards how
> much ink
> is applied to a given paper.

Ain't it the truth. I was scratching my head a couple of weeks ago when
several people mentioned what an amazing amount of ink Clearprint vellum
will take up. Not with my printer, it doesn't; it just puddles on the
surface.

Furthermore, I've discovered, in private correspondence with another
person making gum negatives with the same printer I use, that it
differs not only from model to model, but from individual printer to
individual printer. I cannot make one of Dan Burkholder's spectral
density (color table) negatives on Pictorico that will print on gum,
(even at 100% density for each of the colors, adjusting the curve to
maximize density, adjusting all the other variables available to
maximize density, all I get in gum is a solid rectangle of color, no
image) but my correspondent could, at least until he changed printer
drivers, at which time he started getting results like mine.
Katharine