Re: "Gum Joy", monoprints, and sizes

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/12/03-05:50:09 AM Z

EWRPhoto@aol.com wrote:

> About the monoprint thing.....I guess John Stevenson meant unique
> pieces.....but even that is not necessarily the case, because I have
> made variables of several of the prints.

This is interesting, and brings up a question. I had a gallery that for
a while insisted on putting "1/1" on the tags by my work, and I made
them stop it, because while I almost always make just one print of each
image, I don't want to close the option if sometime I decide I want to
make another one. But sometimes I get the idea that what they mean by
"unique" is that since it's handmade, it won't be exactly like another
print even if it's made from the same negative. So which is it, can it
be "1/1" or "monoprint" even if you print the same image again? The way
I've thought about this is the past, my answer has been no, 1/1 means
this is the only print that will be made from this image. Would be
interested in thoughts on this.
Katharine