Re: Re: PS About Witkin Re: Diane Arbu s

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/22/03-11:52:03 AM Z

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
> I know it's unfashionable these days to make moral judgments, or even to
> insist that there may actually be such a thing as right and wrong. As someone
> else on the list put it, "...if there are limits, they're the limits of what
> the public will stomach." Well, that's exactly the point. We seem to be able
> to stomach just about anything these days.

Arthur, friend, to me what "the public will stomach these days," the
self-serving lies from politicians, destruction of environment,theft of
the government,corruption, cronyism, bait and switch rationales and
evocations of "patriotism, the outrages in REALITY that one look at an
actual newspaper (not the TV talking fluff persons) shows every day is so
hideous awful incredible and FRIGHTENING that in comparison Witkin is as
Sunnybrook Farm. In fact a refreshing honesty.

Albeit such (eg Mapplethorpe, etc.) are often used by "government" as a
distraction from their obscenities.

J.