Re: PS About Witkin Re: Diane Arbu s

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@comcast.net)
Date: 09/22/03-01:37:47 PM Z

One of the curious aspects of art is how it reflects the temper of the
times. Witkin's work is handsomely made but
lurches into the 21st C via decadence. However, look at the decadent world
we are surrounded with: AIDS, drugs, the
present administration and conservatives in general, the loss of the
environment, the sorts of movies out there, music
(drive across the country) et al. Witkin's work cannily or uncannily (or
carnally) reflects all this. If Walter Benjamin's
premise of photography, in that once taken, the image leads one towards
thoughts of death (and history), we are surrounded
by a world galloping toward entropy fueled by greed and avarice. Again,
Witkin merely reflects what is going on and he is, overall, a better artist
than scores of wannabes.
Jack Fulton

Yes, I know Witkin is immensely popular-- as well as financially successful.
But if he's a genius I think "evil" must be the operative adjective. Yes,
perhaps it's only his imagination that's "psychopathic," and that in every
other regard he's a solid citizen. But I doubt it. Yes, it's only
"shadows," as someone put it. But there are limits, don't you think? Perhaps
Jeffery Dhamer was a Witkin fan. I remember that when the cops opened his
fridge and saw those silver painted severed heads, Dhamer told them they
were artworks. And the cops believed him. ...... Arthur