Autochromes

From: Steve Bell (sbell1@artic.edu)
Date: 09/23/03-12:21:12 AM Z

Hey Everyone,

last week in my photo class, we went to the museum to see examples of color
work in different processes. one of the images i was privelaged to see was an
autochrome from i think 1907. it was amazingly beautiful. i was stunned.
amazed.

this has got me wondering. it was the first time i'd even heard of the
process! the explanations that i've read online about the process seem to
imply that it's relatively mysterious and somewhat difficult. this has led me
to you, my friends on the alt process list, because to tell you the truth, i
don't know another group of people who would be as excited by the
words "Mysterious" and the phrase "somewhat difficult", as you lot.

so does anyone have any info on how possible this process is today? anyone out
there making Autochromes? anything at all would be helpful.

thanks,

Steve