RE: Autochromes

From: Jonathan Bailey (jon@jonathan-bailey.com)
Date: 09/23/03-05:58:56 AM Z

Steve,

> so does anyone have any info on how possible this process is
> today? anyone out
> there making Autochromes? anything at all would be helpful.

The process is particularly difficult - arguably more problematic than even
daguerreotypes. Autochromes use three layers of potato starch emulsion
pressed onto the glass plate. It is a "direct positive" process. These
images mainly date from a ten year period around 1910-1920. Both Steichen
and Stieglitz made beautiful autochrome images.

Jean-Paul Gandolfo in Paris has been working for some time on replicating
Lumiere's process. He teaches, appropriately enough, at Ecole Lumiere. The
last time I was in Paris I purchased a group of stereoview autochromes -
pretty unusual....

I have also seen reproductions (Pinhole Journal) of pinhole autochromes made
by a person in Mexico City. This person used rice starch rather than
potato.

Good luck Steve!

Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com