RE: Indigo wars-- Brahma was right!

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/23/03-01:12:04 PM Z

So I sat down with the Kremer catalog, and went page by page -- they need
an intern to do a real INDEX -- !! And there on page 32 -- Natural Dyes
and Pigments section are 3 products made from "Genuine Indian Indigo.

Before you rush out to buy, however, I note the preface comment that "The
lightfastness [of these organic dyes] is not comparable to industrially
manufactured pigments, but the character of these hues is uniquely soft &
natural..."

Then continue on through the catalog to the booklist, page 48, and find
"Indigo in the Arab World," a mere $98.60 and "Indigo," for a bargain $55.
(Maybe your school library will oblige.) I noticed however to my delight
Max Doerner's "The Materials of the Artist" revised edition is out in
paperback for $16... "Standard (well they have a typo making it
"stranded," but we don't believe it) volume on all traditional materials
and their uses, oriented on the techniques of the masters, written by the
founder of the Kunsttechnologisches Insitutue in Minich. First published
1921." I told you it wasn't quite translated from the German -- but it's
a nice walk from here to Kremer... I plan to indulge.

Meanwhile, I ardently recommend the little book "Colors" -- open anywhere
for tidbits and great pictures -- also a photo of the Indian laborers up
to their pupicks in indigo slime -- in a vat about the size of a swimming
pool.

The story about the demise of indigo as world colorant has more threads
than I can follow, but wars & market wars loomed large. As for the Woad,
I think that's the cruciferous plant that destroyed the soil (according to
Colors, which noted that when the merchants thrived on the color, the
people starved).

Judy