RE: old Cranes paper gone bad WAS RE: Van Dykes

From: Baird, Darryl (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 09/24/03-01:09:17 PM Z

Sam, sorta interesting (and distressing news since I am storing some
vast quantities of several papers bought with a grant). Were these
stored in metal or wooden cabinets? I once had an alt-p. class that
used BFK for an entire semester. As we got closer to the bottom of the
paper stack (and the end of the semester) several students previously
good images failed to get the same contrast or clear highlights. We
looked for causes and finally assumed the unpainted wooden shelf was
leaching formaldehyde or whatever was used to make the plywood. I now
use either a good barrier layer of acid free paper or plastic sheets
to stack paper onto.

My oldest paper is only three years old, still a toddler.

Darryl