Re: Copyright

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/25/03-08:37:15 AM Z

Last thoughts on the copyright question:

Dave asked if there have been misappropriations of material from this
list; Judy's reply is informative in this regard.

But the reason I brought it up is because a friend whispered to me that
someone may be planning to publish a manual on gum printing that draws
heavily from information shared on this list. I have shared a lot of my
knowledge about gum printing here and would hate to have to regret my
generosity; I would hate it not only for myself but for all of us,
because if experts can't share their knowledge here without fearing
that it will be packaged and sold in a form not of their choosing,
that's the end of us as a useful forum.

I realize full well that if the person decides to do that, there's not
much I can do about it, but the question for the would-be thief
shouldn't be "Can I get away with it?" but "Is it right?" or even more
to the point, "What kind of community do I want to live in?" There are
neighborhoods, for example, where you can't leave anything out, like
say lawn furniture, because anything out where others can see it will
be sure to be stolen. That's not the kind of neighborhood I want to live
in, and I've noticed that even people who steal others' stuff don't like
to have their own stuff stolen.

And it's also possible that my informant was misinformed, (a
misinformant) in which case there's no problem, but I still think it's a
good idea for us to remind each other now and then of how we want and
don't want the information we share here to be used.

Katharine Thayer