Re: Vandyke brown

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/29/03-11:28:01 AM Z

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Patricia Reed wrote:

> I'm wondering if I coat the fabric with paper towels as blotters
> underneath, could I then squeeze the chemistry out of the saturated
> paper towels and apply it to more fabric or would it work for me to just
> lay a new piece of fabric over the saturated paper towels and use a
> roller to saturate the fabric with emulsion from the paper towels...
> Patricia

Patricia, My hunch would be that if your fabric isn't terribly thick so
it's an effort to saturate it evenly (as was Bob's canvas) it would be
easier to either tape the fabric to something waterproof (a sheet of
glass, for instance) or simply dip the fabric & wring it out (wearing
gloves of course). Students making T-shirts used to slip a piece of
cardboard between front & back.

As for reusing the wrung out emulsion -- who knows? Probably depends to
some extent on the fabric.... you could acquire size or other detritus
from the cloth, not to mention from the towels. As conceptual art, sounds
good, as an economy, given the time & the cost of (was it cyanotype?) it
probably isn't.

J.