Re: Re: 8x10 camera

From: Rich ^lt;rich@SouthBristolViews.com>
Date: 08/02/04-02:26:32 PM Z

I agree with the below pricing and it's not a bad deal.

I have two of these "B&J Commercial View" cameras. They are in the
'workhorse' category and should last longer than either of us if taken care of.
But it's _not_ a great field camera! The camera alone weighs in at over 16
pounds! And it's huge. You'll need a _real_ tripod to hold it too!

On the plus side, this camera is apparently nicely refinished and is the heavy-
duty model. You can tell this from the dual screws that hold the extension
rails in place and the wider, dual-slot rear standard uprights. The lesser model
uses a single screw for the extension rails and the rear standard upright is
half the width and has only one slot.

On the down side, it is missing the catch & pins for the folding extension and
back. These are very minor and could be bought at any hardware store. There
are also two screws missing from the bottom of the rear standard upright.
These hold it steadier and in a straight position, on either side of the bottom
slot. They have to be removed for shifts & swings and sometimes are not
replaced...

Although it says "complete", it shows no ground glass or the GG retainers? If
this is missing, you can get an excellent replacement for 20 bucks from
http://www.satinsnowglass.com/ . I have two of these and they are just
wonderful! The retainers are something you'd have to make?

I would say that _if_ this setup is what you want, the cost is fine. If it's not
what you want, then it's not right at half the price...

Rich...