Re: OT: Stable Mac OS releases, was Re: digital question #2

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/03/04-09:47:27 AM Z

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Dennis Moser wrote:

> No, she's not kidding...8.6 WAS an extremely robust and steady OS on
> pre-Power PC Macs such as the IIci's and Quadras...but that was the problem,
> the Power PCs were a move away from that and required something more...one of
> the problems was Apple maintaining backwards-compatibility with all that old
> hardware (I still have three IIci's and a Quadra 950...).

I don't know the marketing or the theory or the history except in my small
corner of the Mac world... When my Mac plus died at the age of 10 years, I
bought a Performa, supposedly a power mac but actually a force of evil --
until I upgraded from system 8.4 to 8.6. From that moment until I fell
into the clutches of G4, Performah not only never crashed, she addressed
me in kind, respectful, even loving tones.

Judy