Re: OT: Stable Mac OS releases, was Re: digital question #2

From: Jeff Dilcher ^lt;dilcher@hiddenworld.net>
Date: 08/03/04-11:53:07 AM Z

I am running Gentoo Linux on a P4 2.5ghz machine with 1024MB ram.
Adobe Photoshop installs and runs using the "wine" program:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17&versionId=1336

I am using version 20040121 of wine, and it works fine, though I
am told some subsequent versions may have had little glitches.

Photoshop 7 under Linux seems to perform about 98% of the functions
as it does on Windows- One thing it won't do, for instance, is perform the
"save to web" compression comparison utility, but I find I don't
really need that.

Unfortunately, the "official" Epson driver for my 1280 doesn't install on
Linux, but, Linux has it's own fairly mature printer driver that
functions with my Epson 1280.

I have been editing in Photoshop, saving the file, then
inkjet printing using Roy Harrington's Quadtone RIP program, which
uses thirdparty inks. Results have been great.

http://www.harrington.com/QuadToneRIP.html

(also available for you OS X folks).

I wrote a small tutorial for installing QuadToneRIP under linux-
If anyone is interested they can email for a .pdf file which may
make things easier for you.