Re: OT: Stable Mac OS releases, was Re: digital question #2

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 08/03/04-07:12:11 PM Z

From: Jeff Dilcher <dilcher@hiddenworld.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Stable Mac OS releases, was Re: digital question #2
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:53:07 -0400

> I am running Gentoo Linux on a P4 2.5ghz machine with 1024MB ram.
> Adobe Photoshop installs and runs using the "wine" program:

Is there a reason to choose Photoshop over gimp?

Also, what's your favorite software for vector drawing and page design
tasks? (For text-intensive stuff I use nothing but LaTeX so this is
not a problem... it is the graphics work containing significant amount
of text that I have problems with...)

I'm also a Linux user myself (and I use Linux on Fujitsu Lifebook
laptop... no one wants to borrow or steal my laptop, which is good.)
but the only problem I have is that it lacks decent vector drawing
program and also decent page layout program.

Well, openoffice has a thing called draw, which can make ok drawings
as long as the figure is small enough to fit on 8.5x11, but the text
rendition sucks... It doesn't do ligature at all (even basic ones) nor
does kerning correctly, and I could not find a function to
letterspace, etc. I know, it's just a good all-round office suite and
it wasn't meant for demanding text work... but things often look
crappy without these.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.