Re: Digital camera again...

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 08/04/04-04:06:54 AM Z

Judy,

Most of the zoom lenses on cheaper digital cameras have considerable
barrel or pincushion distortion, and PTLens can correct this. It is
obviously more noticeable on subjects with straight lines, such as
architecture, but other things do look different after processing. Of
course the distorted version may look better.

Working close-up may produce different values of barrel or pincushion
distortion, and if it was important to get things correct you would
probably want to shoot a suitable test target with plenty of straight
lines at the same distance (and to cover the range of focal lengths you
use - the program extrapolates for focal length values between those you
calibrate.)

Panorama Tools (PT) is a set of routines first written quite a while back
for correcting images, and its main use is in correcting the various parts
of a multi-image panorama so they will fit together. You can also convert
from one perspective to another - so I can take images shot in cylindrical
perspective on a swing lens camera and convert to rectilinear should I
wish. It is a powerful set of tools for manipulating images, but the
interface only speaks maths. So a number of people have written Windows
and Mac programs that provide a nice, easy to use front end for it. Some
are reasonably priced, and certainly for Windows there are also good free
versions, such as Hugin (which I wrote about on About Photography last
year.)

PTLens is one such, simplifying things even more by concentrating on just
one aspect of the many things PT can do. As you can see from the web site
it is really very simple in use.

The situation got muddier a few years back when a large corporation was
granted a US Patent on things that apparently included much prior work, by
Dersch and I understand others, and tried to block the distribution of PT.
However the software has remained available although they forced Dersch to
remove it from his own site at least for a while. I've not kept up with
the state of play on this. It happened with the Ambrotype too.

Most of my information comes not from magazines, but from lists like this
one, and various web sites dealing with photography. I often come across
things I've forgotten on my own pages!

Regards

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/