Re: Humidity and Sensitivity... Platinum  and so on...

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/05/04-11:28:31 AM Z

Eric,

Very well said.

I became fully aware of the effect of temperature and humidity with PT/PD
when I was putting together the Precision Digital Negative system. It was
really driven home late last fall when the furnace kicked in and printing suddenly
went to pieces. I bought a nice little digital thermometer/hygrometer from Ace
Hardware for about $20. That coupled with a nice little Holms Humidifier
has resulted in no problem since then. I found that maintaining a level of
relative humidity in the 50-60% range was important to good printing with PT/PD and
had this confirmed by a number of expert printers.

I finally standardized on a specific humidity level and a method of
pre-humidifying my paper before coating and a specific drying time and method. The
system I am using for printing with digital negatives will indicate very slight
variances.

It is much easier to control a situation where you have low humidity than
high humidity, since it is easier to add than subtract. Places where there is
very very high humidity on a regular basis must present a real problem.

I think people around the country have very different humidity issues or
non-issues, depending on the consistency of the relative humidity and variance
with seasons. Most people have probable just built it into their workflow—
sometimes without being aware that they were doing so, but getting good results
just the same. I think it is probably one of the most important and most ignored
issues in printing.

Mark Nelson
www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com