Re: Gum dichromate issue

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 08/10/04-05:52:12 PM Z

> Please, where can I have a pick on Hubl's 1916 Three Color Photography ?
> Any website?
> Giovanni
No website, Giovanni; I found it on the shelves at the University of Minn,
not even in the Rare Books Collection. I was researching gum printing, and
(Von) Hubl was a gum printer along with the biggies in Germany at the
time--Watzek, Henneberg, Kuehn. So I was sooo excited to find I could check
out this book--and in English! I went to page through it (University of
Minnesota library is HUGE; I think the biggest library under one roof, so
you have to walk up and down and all around) and it was all sensitometry and
charts and those kinds of things that Sandy King would read for fun, but for
me it was like reading a technological guide to operating a defunct Kodak
processing machine. I don't know where you are--Italy, perhaps? But my point
is that you would learn more by doing than by reading this book. And as I
see you are doing digital negatives from your second post, this book
probably won't help you.

If you have access to the British Journal of Photography, the first article
on tricolor gum was in 1906 by Richard Hiecke, pp 305-7, Apr 20.
Chris