Unknown Process

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 08/18/04-08:14:05 PM Z

Hi All,

I recently had a question from someone who'd attended a workshop on what he
called "alternative photography", wanting to identify the process and
chemistry they'd used. I don't know. His description follows, followed by
his reply to my request for more details. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

Liam

> Description of the quiz I have to solve, colour photography:
>
> Sheets have already been exposed (they contain the latent image and are
> steel white). The purpose is to developp them.
> We work with a very few daylight. The room must be dark but
> not completely. No artificial lighting is needed.
>
> 1. Sheets are sucessively imbibed with two products:
> The first one is brown liquid with a medium smell, I think often used in
> photography.
> Sheets are imbebed with this frist product, in the darkroom, the prints
> become black (like dirty or bad photocopies).
> The second product used is transparent like water but is very odorous
> (when you smell it, it is very aggressive). That looks like ammonia very
> concentrated and I was told it could be a stop bath.
>
> According to you, what are these two products?
>
> I made the two first steps and now I cannot remove the dirty black veil
> on the sheets. How could I do?
>
> I saw a demonstration during the said workshop, this is how it was done to
> remove the black veil:
>
> 2. In order to clean this black veil, a powder of green-blue colour
> is used (sometimes, it is a translucent clear blue gel ... like shampoo!).
> The dry sheets are put into this powder and have to stay some hours, still
> in dark.
> When withdrawn, this powder has changed colour and is now brown clear (as
> if it had absorbed the first brown product used), after some days, it is
> white powder.
>
> Another way of processing the same step is that this powder is directly
> mixed into water (water becomes clear blue).
>
> When this powder is introduced into water and mixed: water becomes light
> blue. Prints are now introduced in this bath and have to stay some 2 to 5
> minutes, agitated moderately. When withdrawn, prints have now their
> visible image, covered with a slight blue-grey veil.
>
> My aim is to understand this process.
>
> According to your experience, what could be this blue-green powder or blue
> gel product? A bleach, a fixer, a developper, which one, which kind ?
>
> 3. We end using either a transparent liquid (but sometimes it is crystals
> like brown sugar which is melted to water and becomes the transparent
> liquid, sometimes, it is a very light yellowish-orange powder : if you try
> to preserve this powder, it becomes like melt and is no more a powder but
> makes small blots). When put on the wet sheets, immediately, they become
> clear pictures with all details and colours. Then, we dry. Pictures are
> ready.
>
> According to your experience, what could be this last product?
>
> I really need to identify and find the chemical and commercial names of
> THE TWO LAST products and I would be sincerely grateful to you if you
> could help me. If you may identify which is this process, and in case of
> availibility, I would order the stuff from a company or a retailer.

And then: