Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 08/25/04-06:48:34 PM Z

Katharine, Giovanni, Kate, etc.,

     Now that I am not in a rush to prepare for class and can think
concisely, I'll reiterate my points:

Giovanni asked if you could use sodium sulfite. I said yes. I qualified
that with a caveat for longer wash times. (Nadeau, BTW, says p 40 that sod
*bi* requires at least a half hour wash time--nothing about washtime with
pot metabi, but he says p. 25 that sod "metabi" is less odorous.)

I said in my post, "Henney first to say pot metabi more effective than alum
or sod bi in 1939--**no mention of the wash
time**" so Henney does not fit your qualification for a reliable wash time
source either. It looks like Scopick is the one; you may have to email
Scopick and find his source, and you are absolutely right on the Crawford
citation. Crawford is not guilty of saying pot metabi washes out quicker.
My bad. (BTW, I'm surprised you say you haven't studied Scopick, as I
remember a long convo about his book with you...)

I said "Sod bi and alum were actually the clears of choice, alum the most,
until the 70's until its archivalness was questioned." Let me add exact
data here, and offer an opinion (not fact). Here is the fact part: in 36
sources I have quotes from on clearing, 27 mentions of alum, 15 sodium
bisulfite, 3 sodium bisulfate, 3 sodium hyposulfite (now thiosulfate), 3
sodium sulfite, 14 pot metabisulfite, 3 sodium metabisulfite, and one
potassium bisulfite. Now I hope I have my "ates" and "ites" correct--and my
"ph" and "f". Chemists can explain what the differences are between pots and
sods and metabi, bi, ites and ates.

One of the reasons I put my notes in chronological order is to see the
change in the process over time, and to try to see where a thread of an idea
starts and is continued. There is a shift from the alum and sulfite to pot
metabi thru the years, just like there was a shift from pot di to am di over
the years (a whole 'nother story).

Anyway, opinion here: the fact that one or another was preferred could have
more to do with availability, price, convenience, or some other factor than
performance. Alum is called into archival question only as of late, even
tho in the old lit it was also said to create grain and shrink the paper and
take a long time to clear the di stain out--even when it was the drug of
choice.

Giovanni or Kate, this is why people didn't clear until the last multiple
coat was put on, usually--paper registration as well as gum softening;
perhaps the paper shrinkage had nothing to do with alum but they thought it
did. We have to think back to the time before multiple coats occurred
regularly--coats were thick and juicy and exposed lightly, so to immediately
put a fresh gum into a clear was sketchy. Once dried it was more stable.
But one of the fascinating things I found in research was they thought
multiple coats weren't possible--that the next gum coat would soften the one
below. Now we're the smarter.

To me, gum is a practice more than a science, and if there is a hint that
some clears require longer wash times, they are (unscientifically) guilty
until proven innocent in my book. But whichever sulfite/ate wins the race
to leach out into the wash water the quickest is for a chemist to answer,
or maybe Getty would take on this task, scanning for residual chems in test
gum prints cleared with different clears and times of clearing.

And, as far as clears go, in the olden days people didn't clear if they
didn't SEE the need to, so, so much for having to clear in the first place
for archival reasons.

I think I've "cleared" enough.
Chris
PS Katharine, I read your article in Lenswork and LOVED it. Here's to
post-postmodernism--something my thesis is going to touch on. I'm going to
quote you, and I'll even cite you correctly.