RE: Digital Negs - RGB vs CMYK

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;Keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 12/03/04-01:21:22 AM Z

I use variations of RGB and CMYK to fit my needs. I guess you could say I'm
one of those geeks that is happy to have the dot gain and ink limit
controls. Early in my gum-printing education, I was fortunate (I didn't
think so at the time) to do some custom printing for a Photoshop-savvy (and
gum-ignorant) commercial photographer. He would examine my results and say
things like "do the EXACT same thing, but decrease the dot-gain by 5%". It
made big differences, and they weren't "arbitrary". Since those days, I've
slackened up on having to have precise separations negs, preferring to
direct my tweaking to the gum printing stage. Still, when dealing with a
problem picture that just doesn't turn out right, it's nice to be able to go
into image/calculations, do a (for instance) linear light blend between the
red and blue channels at 50%, "clamp" it with curves, make another neg, and
pound some more magenta into a picture to really make it snap. These
changes can be subtle, or they can be hideous. But it's nice to have these
options at one's disposal. Some people will only drive a car with an
automatic transmission. I've always preferred manual.

My advice to those just starting: if you want to make things easier for
yourself (and become a better gum printer in the long run), make perfect
photographs and always use RGB separation negs. You'll be far happier, But
if you are like me, and your photographs are'nt "perfect", it might be worth
you while to familiarize yourseld with some basic channel manupulation.

Keith