RE: RGB vs CMYK: gamut and some important notes for CMYK users

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;Keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 12/05/04-12:19:11 PM Z

Katherine,

I think you are basically correct on your point about grayscale.
Compressing the image to 256 essentially removes the gamut issue. I doubt
that I have ever photographed something that exceeded the gamut of CMYK.
BTW, if you want to see an immediate demonstrate of how CMYK clips
compresses gamut, take this image:

http://www.bellcreative.co.uk/boards/dayglo.jpg

and convert it to CMYK. Wow. Big loss of data on that CMYK image, right?
Now, some people might say that this demonstrates the weakness of CMYK.
Wrong.

Katherine, (or anybody) - could you please look at your default CMYK
settings in Photoshop and tell me what they are? I'd like to do a little
experiment, and I'd rather not have to resort to re-installing PS just so I
can get the same color space that you and Joe are using when you look at
CMYK.

Keith