RE: RGB vs CMYK: some experiments

From: Jason DeFontes ^lt;jason@defontes.com>
Date: 12/05/04-11:31:28 AM Z

I am certain that "my model" (if you are going to burden me with owning it)
is flawed in numerous ways, but I don't think the fact that I presented my
results on a monitor is one of them. Those among us who do testing with
actual prints also present their results to us on a monitor, and we look at
them and understand them just fine. I have read books that demonstrated the
workings of RGB, and the ideas contained in them were not compromised by
being printed on paper.

I do concede (in fact I already have) that my presentation of the results of
RGB separations was critically flawed by the fact that I used a biased CMYK
working space to combine the RGB separated color data. What I thought at
first was showing me potential inaccuracy in the RGB approach, was actually
demonstrating how the default CMYK working space adjusts the colors to
compensate for the non-linearity of SWOP inks. So for those of you following
the thread, please *do not* interpret my results as in any way demonstrating
a "problem" with the RGB separation approach.

However, what Darryl was referring to specifically in the previous post was
the use of 0% percent black generation to get the CMYK conversion in
Photoshop to produce 3-color CMY separations, without the black. I do
believe my example illustrates the potential for this approach if you wanted
to use a CMKY working space but only print with 3 layers as apposed to 4.
Subject to empirical evidence of course...

-Jason