Re: Digital slide camera, was Re: off-topic digital camera suggestions

From: Dennis Moser ^lt;aldus@angrek.com>
Date: 12/13/04-11:49:52 AM Z

Since we've managed to veer so far off topic, I guess I'll push it a
little further.

Sam Wang raises the question of shooting slides w/ DSLR and macro lens
and light table versus using a dedicated film scanner.

For the slides, I think you're better off using a scanner. Yes, with
time and patience and skill, you can get good results with the camera
set up, just as you can with a film camera. But operator skill and time
become a factor because you're now doing repro photography and the only
difference is that you're using a digital camera instead of a film
camera. The sad fact is that you can quickly teach an undergraduate how
to operate a slide scanner and all the ins and outs of how to name and
store the scanned files, but the process of teaching someone with little
or no photographic experience about repro is a bit more daunting. Plus
you have a workflow issue of getting the images off the camera and into
the computer and their final storage media.

For everything but the slides, I'd say go with a camera. But with the
slides, I'd say go with the scanner.

And I'll mention again, there IS software out there that will allow you
to control your DSLR via your computer so that you can use you
computer's monitor to view the image...which is MUCH nicer than trying
to evaluate that little LCD screen (so you're not bending up and down
from photographing the different size materials)!

Dennis Moser
(Who in his daytime job spends an awful lot of time pondering just these
questions...)

--
mailto:aldus@angrek.com
"That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief