RE: And Speaking of Stinky Paper

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/14/04-12:37:51 AM Z

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Schuyler Grace wrote:

> ... Sen. Helms was also pushing a bill to cut off Federal
> funding for any art project that didn't meet "community standards" for
> decency and acceptability.

Ah, community standards: I have about 100 photos of folks walking around
New York City (this isn't off topic -- it's alternative photography!) with
words a foot high on their bosoms you couldn't say on TV... Nobody but me
seems to even look twice. And of course I'm looking because I want to take
their picture. I'll add that NOT ONE PERSON refused... That is, a very few
folks did refuse permission to photograph them but they were just being
crabby, their T-shirts could have been read in church. Does that mean New
York should get EXTRA funding?

.... a whole, vital, beautiful human
> body is a wonderful thing, and one being torn violently apart is a
> vulgarity.

Amen. Amen. Amen. In fact even a decrepit old body is profound.. All
those taboos may be from folks with weak libido. They have to forbid it to
make it interesting.

Judy