Re: And Speaking of Stinky Paper -- caused by politics and the church

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 12/14/04-12:58:59 PM Z

Well, it was both, NY State and Federal funding for the artts. And the
discussion that followed on this list and others brought out the fact that
was in question was 'should government pay for art that degrades or combats
local community standards?' Operative point here was 'who's paying?'

The argument held that there were other artists denied subsidies who had a
positive message, probably personal and nothing to do with challenging
community standards. Personally, I'd rather pay for ME and let the
challenge of community standards rot along with all the other artists who
get subsidies who aren't . . . well, who aren't me.

It's my money. I want it! But I'm not going to piss on Jesus or put
Elephant dung on the virgin Mary because I don't get the money. And, if I
did get it, I wouldn't let those biases influence me anyway.

It certainly raised the awareness as to how much the church influenced these
artists to take the time and make a statement of church/state opression.

Why do they have to get their support from the government? I go to rich
people, individuals and get my support so as to offend the local and global
community.

S.