oil-print-glyoxal??

From: henk thijs ^lt;henk.thijs@hetnet.nl>
Date: 12/25/04-04:29:11 AM Z

>Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>>
>> From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
>> Subject: Re: oil-print-glyoxal??
>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:35:50 +0000
>>
>> > Something to consider while you're pondering this question: paper
>> > manufacturers who gel-size their paper do not use a hardener with the
>> > gelatin (although they do add a fungicide).
>>
>> How do you know this? And how do you know that other ingredients do
>> not lend to decrease the swelling of gelatin?
>>

>I know this because I asked paper manufacturers and this is what they
>told me. My question was, do you add anything to your gelatin size to
>harden the gelatin? and the answer was no, we don't. I was told that
>they do add a fungicide whose purpose is to retard mold growth in the
>unhardened gelatin. .
>Katharine Thayer

HI Katherine,
Thanks for the answer; I use different watercolor 300grs for the
oil-process (apart from old silver-gelatine papers after a bath in
plain hypo, the easiest way to get an oil-paper).
But the next question would be: why the hardening by gum-prints after
sizing with gelatine. Isn't the purpose for this treatmentn also not
to prevent mold-growth?
cheers,
Henk

--
H e n k  T h i j s  -  P h o t o g r a p h y