Re: And how sharp I am was/Re: Temperaprint & Gum

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/01/04-10:11:06 AM Z

Pam wrote:

> For anyone to say that everyone must do as they do to be branded
>with the art label is absurd.
>
>Pam

Did someone say that during this exchange? If so I sure missed it.

What I have said is that there are types of photography where
sharpness itself is highly valued, as are a number of other formal
values. Straight photography, as described by Strand, would be one
these types of photography. Industrial and/or scientific work would
be others.

Other kinds of work start with different premises and have different
objectives. Pinhole photography, gum bichromate, work with Holga
cameras, conceptual photography, etc. I certainly would not say that
these approaches are any less valid than straight photography, though
I doubt that any of use would embrace all of them. How many on this
list, for example, appreciate the work of Cindy Sherman?

It appears to me that the only person who has tried to narrow the
range of acceptable work is Judy, through her suggestion that those
who are interested in sharpness and/or archival issues lack
confidence in their work. Which implies that only those who avoid
sharpness and concern with archival issues have any right to consider
themselves confident artists.

Sandy