Re: Tartaric Acid as contrast agent in VDB?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 01/03/04-12:15:55 PM Z

Loris,

I have seen many claims about being able to alter contrast in VDB
(adding potassium dichromate to the sensitizer or to the water bath,
adding tartaric acid, adding other acids, etc.) but they never worked
in my tests and my belief is that these methods don't work at all,
even though some of them have been recommended in the most recent
books on alternative printing. The only thing that worked for me in
increasing contrast in VDB was to mix some ferric citrate with the
ferric ammonium citrate. This method was described by me a couple of
years back on the list and you could find it in the archives, and it
was also published by Judy Seigel in a recent number of Post-Factory
Photography.

As for your second question, I don't really know the answer. However,
VDB is a POP process so that there is some self-masking going on
during printing, which could explain in part your phenomenon.

Sandy