Those darn fish-eyes

From: Gary Nored ^lt;gnored@centurytel.net>
Date: 01/06/04-09:38:59 AM Z

A gelatin sizing question appears at the bottom of this message.
Everything in between is just background ....

I've thought for some time now that most of the gum-printing
problems I've encountered stem somehow from my gelatin sizing.
This weekend a friend tried to use some of my paper with his own
gum/pigment mixtures, and encountered the dreaded fish-eyes. I
take this as confirmation, of a sort, of my thinking.

So now I'm re-examining my sizing process which is, more or less:

1. Add gelatin to cool water and let bloom several hours.
2. Place gelatin in a 145 degree F hot water bath, and allow
temperatures to equalize.
3. Place paper in the hot gelatin, soak, and remove, drawing the
paper through the wooden dowel thingy Dave Rose told me how to
make (thanks Dave!).
4. Hang until dry.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

My question is: should the gelatin be hot when I coat the paper?

Regards,
Gary Nored
http://home.centurytel.net/Gary_Nored/