Re: Is anyone using Dave Soemarko's LC-1 to develop lith film?

From: ryberg ^lt;cryberg@comcast.net>
Date: 01/07/04-05:41:13 PM Z

For those (most, probably) who don't know it, LC-1 was formulated to coax
more-or-less normal scale out of high contrast lith film. It is mixed as A
(developer) and B (Sodium Bisulfite, which slows the action down). Starting
point is 2:2:6 A:B:water.

Mr. Soemarko says to increase B to decrease contrast, keeping the total at
10. Thus 2:3:5 should give less contrast. He also says to increase A if
the negative shows mottling.

My first attempts were in a 5x7 tray, developing a single 4x5 sheet. At
2:2:6 I got too much contrast and a little mottling. Increasing B gave some
decrease in contrast but much increase in mottling. After lots of combos,
ending with 3:7:0 which gave me a nice tonality but impossible mottling, I
gave up for the day.

Then I pulled out my old motor base and drum. Yes, I know, continuous
agitation will work against me here. But back at the starting 2:2:6 I got
no mottling and too much contrast. Further attempts got closer and closer
till I got to 1:2:7. I thought I had it nailed, but when I scanned the
negative I found drag marks (bromide drag?) in some of the dense parts of
the negative just below a lighter area. Am I right to assume I need more
developer? If so, something like 2:5:3? Or??
Thanks Charles Portland OR