RE: good source for UV tubes?

From: Monnoyer Philippe ^lt;monnoyer@imec.be>
Date: 01/14/04-03:55:31 AM Z

I personnaly bought a a Metal Halide doped Mercury Lamp of 1000 W. I expose the Cyano, Pd, Chrysotypes 50 cm from the bulb. Most of the exposure times are under 10 min. It costed me around 350 Euros ( 450 USD). I mounted it myself.
The metal halide in the lamp would prefably be Iron Iodide (Iron doped MH Lamps). These lamps do emit most of their power right in the wavelengths where oxalates do respond. See a power distribution plot at http://www.sadechaf.be/sadeen/saden3fr.htm
I am very satisfied with it. Moreover, such a bulb is a point source. This is always good for superb details.
Last but not least: DO USE protection. These are bad UVs ! I personnaly leave the room before switching it on.

Philippe