RE: good source for UV tubes?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/14/04-11:39:22 PM Z

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Sandy King wrote:

> >But what you say here about contrast differences is not so readily
> >explained & directly opposite to my findings... and since the mechanism of
> >gum printing is actually quite different from the mechanism of carbon I
> >suggest some qualifications might apply. I suppose it might have happened
> >in carbon (and you don't say you did gum), but I anyway am convinced
> >(pending of course independent verification) that we inhabit two different
> >planets.>
>
> You may be right about the planets. As I recall you reported that
> your tests indicated that it was possible to control contrast with
> vandyke by adding potassium dichromate to the water during
> development. Or was it directly to the sensitizer? That never worked
> for me at all.
>
> Also, I think you reported that your dichromate solutions went bad
> even when stored in distilled water. This has never happened to me
> and I have been storing dilution solutions this way for years. I have
> about 15-20 solutions of different strength solutions under the
> cabinet right now, and some of them have been there for well over two
> or three years.
>
> So the different planet theory sounds good to me.

Different planets it may be, but I think it's the Falso Memory Syndrome
planet because you are confusing me with some other greenhaired gorgeous
brilliant creature, AND HERE I SHALL SHOUT as an aide memoire, because
BOTH THOSE THINGS ARE IDEAS I HAVE SEVERAL TIMES ABSOLUTELY DENIED AND
REFUTED. IN FACT THE VERY IDEA OF PUTTING DICHROMATE IN DEVELOPING WATER
MAKES ME SWOON... So, HOW DARE YOU SIR !! Really, Sandy, that is
very very bad of you... Next thing you'll be saying I said the best part
of photo history is Paul Anderson's Great Gum Pigment Ratio test !!!

Still, I'm a kindly soul and know you have a lot on your mind there on
planet FMS, so let me repeat...

I have said several times on the list and told my students and probably
also in writing going back to 1995 that I didn't find adding dichromate to
VDB in any way, shape or form of any use at all, that it made exposure
excruciatingly slow, & worse yet, stripped the highlights and coarsened
the texture. I also have said explicitly, both in print and on the list,
that I have used FOUR YEAR OLD DICHROMATE SOLUTION and found it fine,
except possibly about 20% slower (hmmm... maybe The 20% POWER surge was
off that day ?).

grrrrrrr,

Judy