Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/17/04-06:31:37 AM Z

Dave Rose wrote:

> I've never seen humidity have any significant effect on gum emulsions, other
> than taking longer for the coating to dry.

I agree with Dave about humidity having little effect on gum. But I have
wondered if perhaps humidity might have something to do with the fact
that coating with a roller doesn't work for me.

At the time that I reported my failure with the roller, I tried to post
a jpeg to the Bostick & Sullivan forum, but the upload didn't work, so I
gave up on it. But while working on my website this morning, I came
across the jpeg, and now that I know how to FTP things to my ISP's
server, I thought I may as well put it up for you all to look at.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Current.html

A side note: One objection I had on hearing about the roller idea was
that I thought it would take up a lot of emulsion that would then have
to be washed out of the roller. But I found that the very fine foam
doesn't soak up as much stuff as I would have thought.

I've found in life that nothing is ever wasted, and the roller has found
a different use in my studio: it's great for covering glass or mylar
with ink for making cliche-verre negatives.
Katharine Thayer