Re: Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 01/20/04-11:53:42 AM Z

Katharine,

p. 39 of his manual, and the summer thing was said in his original paper on
his website. Verbatim: "The best printing conditions are dry, low humidity
and about 20 degress celsius. Even with air conditioners and dehumidifiers
running during the hot, humid, summer here in London, Ontario, gum prints
have a muddy look to them. I do not print during this time." Perhaps he
recanted, as his website has changed since the time I found this paper (of
which I have a copy). Maybe he's so wildly successful that now he prints in
the summer, and found that his "humidity" problem has miraculously gone
away. Someone should write him and ask.

Blacklow p. 127.

As far as humidity and temp, both increase dark reaction acording to many
authors--the insolubilizing of gum at a quicker rate, without exposure to
sun.

One thing I always do is check my sources before posting to the alt list, as
I figure one way or another my head'll hit the proverbial chopping block.
Hey, maybe I don't explain things well from time to time, but as far as
research goes, as a used car salesman might say, "trust me." That's my hog
heaven.
Chris