Re: Roller for gum (was: Re: humidity in your darkroom........

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/21/04-04:38:18 AM Z

I don't have Chris's response of last evening or any of the rest of that
thread, and they haven't shown up on the live mirror yet, so I can't
quote directly from them, but this earlier post says exactly the same
thing, so I'll just attach this here.

I deleted it all because at the time I thought it better to say no more
on the topic, since we've been going in circles for the last two
iterations. But since my point was so completely lost in the yelling and
cheering, I think another comment or two might be in order:

First of all, I was not insinuating that Chris was "fudging" her
citations at all. I just wanted to know where I could see the thing so I
could read it for myself.

I was trained in a tradition where it was drilled into me always to go
to the original source for anything, never to rely on secondary sources
for information, and I've done that for so long that it's just automatic
for me. If person C says that A says x, I never take C's word for it
but I go to A and read it for myself. And this goes not only for
anything I read but for broadcast information as well, and not only
about academic matters but about any topic under the sun, however
general. This is especially important when news people report on
research, because they almost always have it totally wrong, but at any
rate, it's what I do; I go to the source. This was not a personal attack
on Christina, as it seems to have been taken. This was simply about
being able to find the source for an attribution. And "trust me" just
isn't going to work for me; I don't trust anyone, even Christina, to
tell me what someone else said. I have to see it myself.

The difficulty, as best I can make it out, seems to be in what is
considered equivalent information. To take the Blacklow example, I
asked for a reference for this attribution:

>Blacklow says don't print in high humidity because the dichromate
> soaks up moisture from the air and become less sensitive

and I got this quote in response:

> Blacklow p. 127.
>
> As far as humidity and temp, both increase dark reaction acording to many
> authors--the insolubilizing of gum at a quicker rate, without exposure to
> sun.

To me, those two issues are quite different, certainly not closely
enough related that one can adequately serve as a citation for the
other. I can see, and respect, however, that Chris must think they are
essentially the same thing, or she wouldn't keep insisting that she has
satisfied the request for citation by providing the quote. We'll just
have to agree to disagree on this, because there doesn't seem to be any
way to resolve it.

But I agree totally with Judy that if we continue to pass on secondary
sources in this cut and paste manner, the state of knowledge with regard
to gum printing will never advance beyond its current muddled state.
Katharine