Re: Indigo

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 01/22/04-03:11:40 PM Z

I've been offlist for a few days and just caught the tail end of this,
so maybe someone already said this, but Winsor & Newton Indigo isn't
actually Indigo (PB66, which you wouldn't want anyway because it's a
fugitive color, as is the genuine indigo which the PB66 replaced
sometime in the 19th century) but is a convenience mixture, like most of
the "Indigo" paints that are offered. It contains lamp black,
quinacridone violent (PV19), and ultramarine violet (PV15).

Like Dave and Keith, I prefer to mix my own "indigo"-like colors by
mixing blue (usually indanthrone, PB 60, or ultramarine) and black, but
I use ivory black, which is more transparent than lamp black; I don't
like the lamp black because it renders anything it's mixed with opaque,
and I prefer transparency.
Katharine