Re: octopus Tempura and hardened gelatine batter

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 01/29/04-05:40:05 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:25 PM
Subject: octopus Tempura and hardened gelatine batter

> Tempura is mostly vegetables, prawn,
fish/shellfish/squid/octopus
> meat, and maybe other seafood but chicken tempura is new
to me. (not
> that it can't be done with the alt processing techniques)
>
> From: pete <temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Temperaprint & Chicken Tempura
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:20:38 +0000
>
> > Most surfaces don't need sealing. The problem ones are
watercolour
> > paper and some fabrics. Pva and acrylic varnishes or the
traditional
> > gelatine about 10% give two coats and harden with
formalin 3% sol
> > will work well.
>
> How would you apply the primer or plain gelatin dispersion
to the
> watercolor paper? If you apply it to both sides the paper
will more
> likely dry flat but it also presents difficulty in washing
the
> material after any chemical treatment of the material.
(I've been
> thinking about applying gelatin or alkyd primer to
watercolor paper
> before coating with silver gelatin (developing out)
emulsion.

> Incidentally, can anyone convince me why I should try POP?
Based on
> the chemical steps involved, I think making POP emulsion
is a lot
> easier than making DOP emulsion if someone seriously
tries... (I think
> Ray made it a few times...)
>
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki

  I don't know if I can convince you but it does have a
different look than other processes. Probably because of the
self-masking effect. Properly toned POP is permanent.
Actually, I rather like the color of the original image but
don't know any way to preserve it. Gold toning results in
cold or purplish tones.
   Now, I like Tempura but not octopus. I also don't like
escargot, too much like eating cut up art gum erasers. A one
time lady friend thought I was very declasse for this.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com