RE: Editioning

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 07/01/04-09:40:48 PM Z

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Bill William wrote:

> I often face a similar situation. In my work, each print
> is a unique piece, In spite of being printed from the same
> orginal negative...

What I tend to do is give the work a title (which I usually do for
identification) and then, if I've printed it several times, which I often
do, add a number. For instance, "Study in Diagonals, #2," or some point
of differentiation ("dark sky," "red shirt," etc.).

If someone is worried about the prints not being identical, or size of the
edition,they don't deserve to have a gum print, and if the printer is
making them identical, s/he is a genius and/or wasting his/her time. There
are so many different ways to print gum, surely time is better spent
exploring some of them.

(As far as I know, painters do not find it necessary to make their
paintings identical -- or not on purpose anyway.)

Judy